Restaurant-Style Pizza Recipe
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Olive oil
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in water. Add butter, shortening, salt and 2 cups flour; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Sprinkle cornmeal into a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Brush with oil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes. Spread spaghetti sauce over crust. Top with beef and cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
For a crispier pizza crust, sprinkle a thin layer of shredded cheese under the sauce and toppings. The bottom layer of cheese serves as a buffer between the crust and moist toppings.
Reviews for Restaurant-Style Pizza
"I've been experimenting with different style pizza doughs, and so far this is my family's favorite."