You'll hardly be able to rein folks in once they see these crispy critters! CT's cooks hurried the herd together using a sweetened mix of chocolate, rice cereal and peanut butter, then designed deer with pretzels and candies.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + standing
- 6 cups chocolate-flavored crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 40 miniature pretzels, halved
- 80 miniature peanut butter candies
- 40 red-hot candies
- Place cereal in a large bowl; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in peanut butter until smooth. Pour over cereal and stir until coated.
- Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Let stand until set. Place two pretzel halves in each ball for antlers. Position two peanut butter candies on each for eyes and one red-hot for nose.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 351 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Reindeer Treats in Crafting Traditions July/August 2001