Refreshing Rhubarb Salad
Nearly everyone I know has rhubarb in their garden, so it is indeed plentiful each spring. I've had this recipe in my scrapbook for years and serve it often at potlucks.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (6 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Mayonnaise, fresh mint and additional strawberries, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the rhubarb, water and sugar to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in the orange juice and zest.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in strawberries. Pour into a 2-qt. bowl; chill until set. If desired, garnish with a dollop of mayonnaise, mint and strawberries.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 91 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Refreshing Rhubarb Salad in Country April/May 1997