- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Reese's pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together water, oil, applesauce, vinegar and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until blended. Transfer to prepared pan. Sprinkle with Reese's pieces and peanuts.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews forReese's Chocolate Snack Cake
"This cake is so very easy to put together and is fabulous! Since I didn't have any Reese's pieces I used a combination of chocolate toffee chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could use just about any toppings you prefer because this cake is so moist and delicious, anything would work! It's easy enough to throw together for a weeknight dessert and yummy enough for a special occasion. We loved it and will definitely make again!!Volunteer Field Editor"
"This recipe was sooo easy to prepare and tasted great! Since we are not fans of nuts in our cakes, I substituted Reese's PB chips for the peanuts. I will definitely be making this again! As a Volunteer Field Editor for TOH, I highly recommend it!"
"I made this recipe today. The recipe was prepared as ingredients were presented. But I baked cake in two 8" square pans and divided the Reese's pieces and chopped peanuts between the 2 pans. The measurements for the Reese's pieces and chopped peanuts WERE the amount recipe called for, though. I baked cakes 35 minutes. delowenstein, Volunteer Field Editor"
"easy and delicious cake. I made the cake exactly as instructed but substituted chopped chocolate for the toppings as I made this for children and wasn't sure if there were any nut allergies. I will make it again with the intended toppings, but the cake is versatile enough almost any topping would be good."