Reduced-Sugar Tangy Barbecue Sauce
This is a delicious staple to have on hand during the summer grilling season. A speedy alternative to bottled sauce, it can be brushed on chicken, ribs, pork or even turkey. —Lynn Sawyer, Two Rivers, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sugar ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced to 2-1/2 cups.