Red wine and chocolate make an amazing pairing, especially in these rich, elegant cupcakes made for my mother’s birthday. She adores them! —Candace Cheney, Fort McMurray, Alberta
Recommended: 45 Valentine’s Day Desserts for Your Sweetie
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- MASCARPONE ICING:
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) Mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place cocoa and chocolate in a small bowl; whisk in boiling water until chocolate is melted and mixture is blended.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with wine and chocolate mixture beating well after each addition. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Red Wine and Chocolate Cupcakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018