Red, White and Brew Slow-Cooked Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1 envelope (1-1/4 ounces) chili seasoning
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place the first eight ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. Stir in beer; set aside.
- Rub chicken pieces with chili seasoning. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Thicken cooking liquid if desired. Serve chicken with pasta.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken with 1/3 cup sauce: 343 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Aug 11, 2014
Watery sauce with no depth of flavor.
Aug 11, 2014
This wasn't my most favorite dish. It was okay. Also, I'm not a big fan of crockpot recipes that have bones in it. If I were to make this in the future, I would use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I served this with buttered parsley egg noodles and Taste of Home's Green Peas with Onions.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.