Red, White and Blue Chili
Instead of the usual picnic fare, I surprised family and guests with this mild-flavored dish one Independence Day. They were delighted with the blue tortilla chips and colorful chili. —Dotty Parker, Christmas Valley, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Blue tortilla chips
- In a Dutch oven, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, chicken, beans, chili seasoning, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 216 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1260mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 7g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Red, White and Blue Chili in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.