“Red, White and Blue Berry Cream Pie”
This pie is one I frequently make for bake sales at our church. I can hardly ever set it down on the sale table without someone picking it right up and saying, "Mark this one sold!" —Cindy Zarnstorff, Anchorage, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- BERRY LAYER:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons raspberry gelatin
- 1 pint fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pint fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
- CREAM LAYER:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-3/4 cups whipped topping
- For berry layers, combine sugar, cornstarch and water in medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve. Cook until thick and clear. Add gelatin; stir until dissolved.
- Divide mixture in half. Stir blueberries and lemon juice into half of the mixture; spread over bottom of pie shell. Refrigerate. Fold raspberries gently into remaining half of mixture; set aside.
- For cream layer, beat together cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in the topping; spread over blueberry layer. Refrigerator until set. Carefully spread raspberry layer over cream layer. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 455 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Red, White and Blue Berry Pie in Country Woman July/August 1990