Red Velvet Waffles with Coconut Syrup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
Makes7 round waffles (1 cup topping and 2 cups syrup)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, butter, food coloring and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Bake in a preheated round Belgian waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese and cinnamon until smooth; stir in pecans. In another bowl, combine the corn syrup, coconut and extract. Serve topping and syrup with waffles.
Nutrition Facts1 waffle with 2 tablespoons topping and 1/4 cup syrup: 936 calories, 43g fat (23g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 137g carbohydrate (106g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 28, 2016
These are excellent. However, they are too rich for us, for breakfast. They are a great dessert! I made them when we were having friends for dinner and froze them until dessert time. I had the topping and syrup out, while to ate, to come to room temperature. We popped the waffles in the toaster, then everyone added the topping and syrup to taste. Everyone loved them and wanted the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.