Red Velvet Pancakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min./batch
Makes16 pancakes per batch
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 6 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- Butter and maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place 2 cups in each of five resealable plastic bags or containers. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 5 batches (10 cups mix).
- To prepare pancakes: Pour mix into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and food coloring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes (calculated without butter and syrup): 619 calories, 33g fat (17g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Jul 15, 2016
Yummy. Made as is and we found them delicious
Dec 18, 2015
instead of food colouring, use strawberries, cherries or other red fruit. Mix it into the batter in a blender and voila .....you have natural colour!
Dec 5, 2014
I read the other reviews and decided make a few changes. I got by with using 2 teaspoons of red paste food coloring, which is of course stronger than liquid color. I reduced the cocoa by half and used only about 9 cups of flour. With those changes they were what I was looking for. I also made a thin glaze with cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, & vanilla & served with sliced strawberries.
Mar 4, 2014
The portions are horrible. They turned out more chocolate then anything, but were too thick to make pancakes with.
Apr 1, 2013
These were delicious; the buttermilk makes all the difference. The batter was a bit thick when made to directions so I added 1/2 cup more buttermilk for pancakes. It made great waffles when mixed to directions. I also omitted the food coloring. But these would be fun with green dye for St Patrick's Day!
Apr 1, 2013
These were delicious, the buttermilk makes all the differeence. The batter was a bit thick when made to directions so I added 1/2 cup more buttermilk for pancakes. It made great waffles when mixed to directions. I also omitted the food coloring. but these would be fun with green dye for St Patrick's day!
Dec 27, 2012
This recipe just didn't work out for me. They didn't cook up well at all and I ended up pitching the entire batch. 2 tbsp of food coloring seemed a bit extreme and used much less.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.