VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Combine cake mix, 1 cup flour and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll dough into an 18x10-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter to within 1/4 in. of edges; sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut crosswise into 12 slices. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until puffed and light brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over warm rolls. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls in Taste of Home November 2017