Our Test Kitchen developed this appealing recipe that's ready to serve in less than 30 minutes. Before you scoot out the door, treat yourself to these mild, flaky fillets topped with spicy black beans.
Recommended: 25 Healthy 13×9 Dinners to Make for Dinner Tonight
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 to 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 red snapper or grouper fillets (8 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, combine the beans, onion, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt, dash pepper and pepper sauce. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the flour and remaining salt and pepper. Dip fillets in flour mixture. In a large skillet, heat butter and remaining oil over medium heat. Cook fillets for 5-6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Top with black bean mixture; sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Red Snapper with Black Beans in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p22