Red River Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Cooked rice or noodles
- 1. Dredge meat in flour. In a skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat; saute onions until tender. Remove from pan; set aside. Melt remaining butter and brown meat on all sides. Add broth, basil, salt and pepper, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce and onions. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve immediately over rice or noodles. Yield: 8 servings
4 ounce-weight: 334 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Red River Beef Stroganoff
"There was something straganoff-y missing, but overall very tasty. I recommend browning fresh mushrooms with the onions. Also, I added more worcestershire sauce and about 3 tbsp of soy sauce. It needed something more."
"Great winter time recipe, absolutely delicious."
"I have made this recipe before an loved it. today I was in a hurry an decided to try it with hamburger. had to make a couple small changes but it was still great. did add veggies with it to makes it more healthy"
"Great recipe! Sadly my daughter doesn't like mushrooms so left them out and just added a little more spice to "cover" the sour cream taste... well worth making!!"
"Can this be made in the crockpot?"
"Also added some frozen peas to make it a bit more healthy."
"This is similar to the Stroganoff that I make, except I use fresh mushrooms and I add a little tomato paste to it. It is delicious."
"I used this recipe to make stroganoff for the first time. I thought it could use maybe a clove of garlic, but other than that, it was great."