Red River Beef Stroganoff
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cooked rice or noodles
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dip beef in flour to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in 1/4 cup butter in batches. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining butter until crisp-tender. Return beef to pan. Add the broth, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 334 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 113mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Jun 16, 2012
There was something straganoff-y missing, but overall very tasty. I recommend browning fresh mushrooms with the onions. Also, I added more worcestershire sauce and about 3 tbsp of soy sauce. It needed something more.
Apr 3, 2012
Great winter time recipe, absolutely delicious.
Apr 7, 2010
I have made this recipe before an loved it. today I was in a hurry an decided to try it with hamburger. had to make a couple small changes but it was still great. did add veggies with it to makes it more healthy
Mar 29, 2010
Great recipe! Sadly my daughter doesn't like mushrooms so left them out and just added a little more spice to "cover" the sour cream taste... well worth making!!
Nov 17, 2009
Can this be made in the crockpot?
Nov 17, 2009
Also added some frozen peas to make it a bit more healthy.
Jun 21, 2008
This is similar to the Stroganoff that I make, except I use fresh mushrooms and I add a little tomato paste to it. It is delicious.
Jun 20, 2008
I used this recipe to make stroganoff for the first time. I thought it could use maybe a clove of garlic, but other than that, it was great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.