- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Cooked rice or noodles
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dip beef in flour to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in 1/4 cup butter in batches. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining butter until crisp-tender. Return beef to pan. Add the broth, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream; heat through (do not boil). Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forRed River Beef Stroganoff
"There was something straganoff-y missing, but overall very tasty. I recommend browning fresh mushrooms with the onions. Also, I added more worcestershire sauce and about 3 tbsp of soy sauce. It needed something more."
"Great winter time recipe, absolutely delicious."
"I have made this recipe before an loved it. today I was in a hurry an decided to try it with hamburger. had to make a couple small changes but it was still great. did add veggies with it to makes it more healthy"
"Great recipe! Sadly my daughter doesn't like mushrooms so left them out and just added a little more spice to "cover" the sour cream taste... well worth making!!"
"Can this be made in the crockpot?"
"Also added some frozen peas to make it a bit more healthy."
"This is similar to the Stroganoff that I make, except I use fresh mushrooms and I add a little tomato paste to it. It is delicious."
"I used this recipe to make stroganoff for the first time. I thought it could use maybe a clove of garlic, but other than that, it was great."