This colorful rice dish really bursts with the taste of bacon. Plus, the hot pepper sauce really adds spice!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 5 bacon strips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup tomato juice or water
- 1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; drain; discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add bacon and remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 210 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 734mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Red Rice in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.