Red Pepper ‘n’ Cheese Dip
This is a favorite recipe of mine to give as a gift during the holiday season. I usually give a 4 oz. baby food jar of it along with a box of crackers and an 8 oz package of Cream Cheese.—Lee Deneau, Lansing, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1-1/2 cups per batch
- 10 to 12 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers or vegetables
- In a food processor, cover and process peppers in batches until pureed. Process enough peppers to yield 3 cups. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in vinegar until smooth. Add the butter, mustard and pureed peppers.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to prepare dip. Yield: 7 batches (3-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare dip: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup mix until smooth. Serve with crackers or vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 173 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pimiento Cheese in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.