This is a favorite recipe of mine to give as a gift during the holiday season. I usually give a 4 oz. baby food jar of it along with a box of crackers and an 8 oz package of Cream Cheese.—Lee Deneau, Lansing, Michigan
Recommended: 25 Slow Cooker Dip Recipes for Worry-Free Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 to 12 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers or vegetables
- In a food processor, cover and process peppers in batches until pureed. Process enough peppers to yield 3 cups. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in vinegar until smooth. Add the butter, mustard and pureed peppers.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to prepare dip. Yield: 7 batches (3-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare dip: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup mix until smooth. Serve with crackers or vegetables. Yield: 1-1/2 cups per batch.
Originally published as Red Pepper 'n' Cheese Dip in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p64