Red Lentil Soup Mix Recipe
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 packages (1 pound each) dried red lentils
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1. Combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 1-1/3 cups lentils in each of four 12-oz. jelly jars. Evenly divide onion mixture among small cellophane bags; place sealed bags inside jars, on top of lentils. Store in a cool, dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- 2. To prepare one batch: Rinse lentils and drain. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add lentils, onion mixture and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 10-15 minutes. Yield: 4 batches/4 cups per batch.
1 cup: 257 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Red Lentil Soup Mix
"This is a very good soup that has wonderful flavor. I had everything to make 1/2 batch of the soup, except the vegetable broth so I used chicken bouillon. The soup will even better next time when I use veg. bouillon which gives great flavor to veg-bean soups). This will be a good soup to keep in my freezer in individual portions for easy access to a quick protein rich soup. I would probably give 5 stars if I had used veg. broth or bouillon as the flavor would blend great with the other ingredients."