Red & Green Salad with Toasted Almonds
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (1-1/3 cups each)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, torn
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Gradually whisk in grapeseed oil until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine lettuces, red pepper, celery, cucumber, peas and tomatoes. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 168 calories, 14g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 18, 2014
Very tasty salad - and pretty, too! The crunch of the almonds adds another layer of flavor, and the dressing goes perfectly with it.
Nov 30, 2013
Yum! The dressing was also great tossed over rice and steamed veggies.