Red & Green Pinwheels
My mom used to make these cookies every Christmas, and I still love them. They are so colorful. You can use different food coloring for different seasons.—Jill Heatwole, Pittsville, Maryland
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon red gel food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon green gel food coloring
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and extract. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture, blending well.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Tint one portion red and the other green. Divide portions in half, for 4 portions altogether. Roll out each portion between sheets of waxed paper into a 9x6-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove waxed paper. Place one green rectangle on a red rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic. Repeat. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- 4. Unwrap and cut crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 7-9 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
1 cookie: 36 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC