Red-Eye Beef Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef eye of round roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Combine 3/4 cup water, soup mix, vinegar and hot sauce; pour over roast.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-3 hours or until tender. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- 3. For gravy, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into meat juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 10-12 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 148 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Red-Eye Beef Roast
"Oh my gosh!! This was the best tasting roast I have ever made in my years of cooking. Not dry and had the best flavor. I followed the recipe to the t and put it in the crockpot instead of oven and this turned out wonderful. Will make again and again. Thanks for sharing! I love Country Woman magazine. :O)"