- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 ounces linguine, cooked and drained
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2- or 2-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the clams, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, bay leaf, sugar, basil and thyme.
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. If desired, sprinkle with additional parsley. Serve with linguine.
Freeze option: Omit additional parsley. Cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with linguine and, if desired, minced parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forRed Clam Sauce
"Very good as written and I have improvised from this recipe and added chopped pepper and celery with the onion and then I had left over pasta sauce that I was not sure what to do with and added that instead of tomato and paste, with a bit of white wine and chicken broth and let it all simmer, that was a "use up things" from the refrigerator recipe based on this one. Used fresh herbs from garden -basil, parsley, thyme ."
"Usually we make Alaskan king crab legs for valentines day but this year the quality wasn't worth the $ so I went with this recipe. It was wonderful tasting, resteraunt good! Thank you for help saving our otherwise seafood less Valentines Day :)"
"outstanding! we use a can of Italian tomatoes and cut the herb and garlic seasoning in half. Use chopped clams vs, minced, much more texture and flavor. Also cook for an hour on crockpot hi then turn to lo"
"I have made this receipe numerous times since it appeared in the magazine. It is absolutely wonderful and very easy to make. even picky teens like it."
"This was very easy to make and it was as good as it looked in the picture. My husband really enjoyed it. Will make again"