Red Cabbage with Cranberries
Sweet-and-sour cabbage complements mild meats like pork and ham. You can serve this relish warm or cold.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (10 cups)
- 1 cup dry red wine or apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven or kettle, heat oil and 1/4 cup brown sugar over medium heat. Add garlic; saute for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups cranberries and vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until the berries have popped.
- Add cabbage and wine or apple juice. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the salt, cayenne and remaining cranberries and brown sugar. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until berries are tender.