- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forRed Cabbage with Apples
"The combination of red cabbage and apples here is awesome!!"
"try puting in ground cloves and fry bacon and onions"
"Fantastic, no leftovers, hit with everybody! I did sauté onion & apples in bacon drippings and added 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. A real keeper!!"