- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- Lemon slices, optional
- In a Dutch oven, melt shortening. Add the cabbage, onion, lemon juice or vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add apples; cook 10-15 minutes more or until cabbage and apples are tender. Stir in jelly until melted. Garnish with lemon slices if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forRed Cabbage Casserole
"Excellent flavor, I am having a german party and wanted to try it first. The only negative was a lot of liquid left in the pan. I would leave the cover off the pan to let the liquid reduce more. Excellent!!"
"this is just like the German red cabbage i always make 9I am from Germany) but with 1/3 c sugar and 1/3 c red wine vinegar no jelly, no lemon juice. I also cook the apples in with the cabbage. Try it this way, enjoy."
"Okay... I was curious but very doubtful that this would be good. We eat a lot of fresh raw cabbage but I didn't have many cooked recipes for it. I made a half recipe the night I made baked pork chops and didn't want to buy current jelly just for this recipe so I substituted some plum jam instead. What a great dish! It went so well with the pork and the garlic mini potatoes. We had the best dinner ever with this one. I think it would be great with any dish but try it with chicken and turkey also! This one is going in my make again file!"
"i expected a contest winning recipe to be better than this was. it was okay but won't make it again"
"This is a delicious dish! Very simple to make. I would definately make it again."