Red Beans ‘n’ Brown Rice
This side dish takes a flavorful twist on traditional red beans and rice. "The sweetness of the molasses and ketchup contrasts nicely with the garlic and onion...and reminds some people of barbecued beans," writes Rita Farmer of Houston, Texas. "This dish never fails to spark compliments and recipe requests.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup light beer or beef broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup or seafood cocktail sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups hot cooked brown or white rice
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the beans, chilies, beer or broth, ketchup, molasses, chili powder, vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 476 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 19g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Red Beans N Brown Rice in Light & Tasty June/July 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.