- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute pepper and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in beans, sausage, Cajun seasoning, pepper sauce and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until heated through, 5-7 minutes. If desired, serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forRed Beans and Sausage
"With a few simple changes to better suit our taste, this is a delicious, quick, easy meal. Instead of using oil, I spray a non-stick pan with no-stick cooking spray to saute the green pepper and onion, omit the spicy Cajun seasoning, hot pepper sauce, and water and sub with a can of diced stewed tomatoes (including the juice), and a few generous squirts of our favorite bottled BBQ sauce. We couldn't even taste the sausage the first time I made the recipe, so now I omit it to make this a meatless meal. This makes way too much for just the two of us, but halving the recipe using one can of kidney beans makes enough for two nights, always a plus for me when I can get two meals out of one recipe. Served over brown rice, this is a real favorite around here - yum!"
"Surprisingly good and very simple and quick to make. I just added a little salt and it was good to go."
"I make this all the time. We use Jalapeno's instead of green peppers. My husband and 7 yr old daughter love this."