Red Beans and Rice with Turkey Kielbasa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 6 ounces smoked turkey kielbasa, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid; set beans aside. In the same pan, saute the kielbasa, celery, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the beans, water, bay leaves, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until beans reach desired consistency. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 347 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 18g protein.
Sep 16, 2011
We substituted canned beans for convenience and vegi kielbasa because we had it on hand and it all came together very "flavorfully!" Serving it on the rice was a must.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.