Red Beans and Rice Salad
Mango lends a sweet tropical twist to our Test Kitchen's warm weather version of red beans and rice. Green pepper and onion add crunch to the chilled concoction that's tossed with salsa, then sprinkled with cilantro just before serving.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled mango or peaches (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup salsa, well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 245 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 9g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Red Beans and Rice Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.