VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Combine the first 10 ingredients; place in an airtight container. Place beans and rice in separate containers. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare red beans and rice: Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain. Return beans to pan; add seasoning mix, 2-1/2 cups water and ham hocks. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks; cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to pan. Add the sausage. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until beans are tender and sausage is heated through. Remove bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, combine rice, salt and remaining water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls; top with bean mixture. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Red Beans and Rice Mix in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p47
Reviews forRed Beans and Rice Mix
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review