VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound dried red beans or kidney beans
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- Hot cooked rice
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Add the ham bone, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ham bone; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone. Discard bone; set meat aside. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, garlic and pepper to the bean mixture. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Add sausage and reserved ham. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Red Beans 'n' Rice with Sausage in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p194
Reviews forRed Beans 'n' Rice with Sausage
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2011
"It was good but I really missed a tomato element in it."