Red Bean Toss
I discovered this recipe several years ago at a church function. The combination of flavors is tantalizing-this dish is a real crowd-pleaser! The kidney beans, chili beans and corn chips all represent the cooking of the West/Southwest region. This dish is great for your family, or for family gatherings.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet pickle
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup coarsely crushed corn chips
- In bowl, combine the kidney beans, chili beans, celery, pickle, onion and cheese. In smaller bowl, blend salt and Worcestershire sauce with mayonnaise; toss with bean mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with corn chips. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 310 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 769mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Red Bean Toss in Country February/March 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.