I discovered this recipe several years ago at a church function. The combination of flavors is tantalizing-this dish is a real crowd-pleaser! The kidney beans, chili beans and corn chips all represent the cooking of the West/Southwest region. This dish is great for your family, or for family gatherings.
Recommended: 100 Great Ways to Use Canned Beans
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) chili beans in chili sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped sweet pickle
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup coarsely crushed corn chips
- In bowl, combine kidney beans, chili beans, celery, pickle, onion and cheese. In smaller bowl, blend salt and Worcestershire sauce with mayonnaise; toss with bean mixture. Place in 1-1/2-qt. casserole dish. Sprinkle with corn chips. Bake at 375° for about 25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Red Bean Toss in Country February/March 1991, p49