- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups apple butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in butter. Reserve 1-1/3 cups crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle apples over crust; spread with apple butter. Stir walnuts into reserved topping; sprinkle over apple butter. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forRed Apple Butter Bars
"Delicious! My husband said it tasted like pie, but better because of the streusel. I used pumpkin butter instead of apple butter, as we had a large batch of TOH Pumpkin Butter - highly recommend that recipe, too! The pumpkin complemented the apples well. It worked just fine with homemade pumpkin butter (referring to note that it was tested with commercial type). I will make this with apple butter sometime too. The only tweak I will make in the future is to combine the apples with the pumpkin / apple butter and spread it on top of the crust. It was a little hard to spread it evenly on top of the apples."
"These apple butter bars are delicious! My neighbor made them and I just had to submit a favorable review. She used 3 small apples instead of 2 medium size apples, but, other than that, followed the recipe exactly. I will be making them in the future ... they are truly a taste of Fall!"