This refreshing dessert has a rich shortbread-like crust with a creamy center and pretty red gelatin top layer. It’s easy enough for everyday, but cheery enough to dish up for guests, too. —Lois Frazee, Gardnerville, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) raspberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, pecans and brown sugar; stir in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; fold in whipped topping. Spread over crust. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water. Spoon over cream cheese layer. Chill until firm. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 262 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Canadian Jello Squares in Taste of Home October/November 2005