Raspberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes2 dozen servings
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed and drained
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- VANILLA ICING:
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk 3/4 cup milk and egg yolk; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Add additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Divide dough in 2 portions so that one is slightly larger than the other; wrap each and refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of lightly floured waxed paper into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up sides of pan; trim pastry to edges of pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add raspberries and rhubarb; toss to coat. Spoon into pastry.
- Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal with a fork. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake until golden brown, 45-55 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over pie. Cut pie into squares.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 4, 2019
Hi Donna, The recipe states to preheat the oven to 375 degrees. That would be your baking temp. for the pie.
Jun 2, 2019
I love the sound of this recipe however you do not say what temperature to bake at
Nov 20, 2018
ust finished the book recipe box. By Viola Shipman. As I am reading the book this pie comes up at the beginning, and I am thinking. "Hmmmm I have made this, or something similar". When you get to the end in the credits Viola posts this recipe via the web adress and I am freaking out! This is the one I make!! First time commenting about it. Perfect as is!
Mar 18, 2018
I prefer using Crisco instead of butter, just add 2T. extra, and use ice water instead of milk. Much flakier!
Sep 5, 2016
Very good. I took it to a picnic and didn't get to bring any home. Definitely will make again..
Jun 18, 2016
I made this with equal amounts of rhubarb and raspberries and a bit less sugar. My family and friends loved it!
Apr 8, 2016
This was a great way to use the frozen raspberries and rhubarb that I had in the freezer. I am not the greatest pastry chef, so rolling out dough is not an easy job for me. But, I managed. I went one step further and used the food processor for the rhubarb to give it a more even consistency.But, I am confused as to why the oven temperature needs to be 375. In this day and age of well-insulated ovens and pans that are non-stick, I never need to use 375 and I put my oven at 350 for the allotted time and it was still slightly over-baked.Take it easy on the heat.Yummy.
Jan 10, 2016
Our family loves both raspberries and rhubarb-the combination is outstanding. I do 1 1/2 times the recipe as I use a LG jelly roll pan. Outstanding dessert
Jun 30, 2015
Great dessert for a crowd. I have also made it with strawberries as well. I also reduced berries by a cup and added a cup to the rhubarb. I will definitely make this again.
Jun 4, 2015
One of only ways I will eat rhubarb. The only change that I make is I use the pie crust only on the bottom and substitute sugar cookie dough on top. It makes. Great different way of putting it together.