Raspberry Mocha Torte Recipe
- 6 egg, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries and mint, optional
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cu sugar until thicken and lemon-colored. In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peak form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture along with the flour.
- 2. Divide batter between three waxed paper-lined ungreased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a small saucepan, whisk the sugar, eggs, yolks and coffee granules. Add chocolate. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. In a small mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in cooled chocolate mixture until smooth.
- 4. To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the mocha filling. Top with another cake layer; spread with raspberry jam. Place remaining cake on top; spread with the remaining mocha filling. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Garnish with raspberries and mint if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 424 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 283mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Raspberry Mocha Torte
"First time I made this for our exchange students, they just loved it, especially the frosting. Made it as written initially, then the second time did not use the jam, it was AWESOME. Next time will make with jam under the frosting on one layerThanks for this GREAT recipe.Will make again,and again, and again-etc!!!!"
"This is THE BEST cake ever. I made it for our exchange students and they just were crazy about it, especially the chocolate frosting. I made it as written the first time, then the second one just used the chocolate frosting on all layers. Both are wonderful. Next time I will try putting some of the jam then the chocolate frosting on one of the layers.Thanks for the GREAT recipe."