- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries and mint, optional
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cu sugar until thicken and lemon-colored. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peak form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into egg yolk mixture along with the flour.
- Divide batter among three waxed paper-lined ungreased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the sugar, eggs, yolks and coffee granules. Add chocolate. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool. In a small bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in cooled chocolate mixture until smooth.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the mocha filling. Top with another cake layer; spread with raspberry jam. Place remaining cake on top; spread with the remaining mocha filling. Refrigerate for 3 hours. Garnish with raspberries and mint if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forRaspberry Mocha Torte
"First time I made this for our exchange students, they just loved it, especially the frosting. Made it as written initially, then the second time did not use the jam, it was AWESOME. Next time will make with jam under the frosting on one layerThanks for this GREAT recipe.Will make again,and again, and again-etc!!!!"
"This is THE BEST cake ever. I made it for our exchange students and they just were crazy about it, especially the chocolate frosting. I made it as written the first time, then the second one just used the chocolate frosting on all layers. Both are wonderful. Next time I will try putting some of the jam then the chocolate frosting on one of the layers.Thanks for the GREAT recipe."