Raspberry-Filled Meringue Torte
My family always asks for this impressive sweet during the holidays. I've relied on this light meringue recipe for as long as I can remember—it's a surefire success each and every time I serve it. —Rosemarie Cook of Haliburton, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 Min. Bakre: 30 min. + chilling
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened raspberries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 10 fresh raspberries
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and trace five 7-1/2-in. circles on paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine coconut and cornstarch; fold into meringue.
- Spread meringue evenly over each circle on prepared pans. Bake at 300° for 30 minutes or until firm and lightly golden. Cool for 5 minutes. Gently remove meringues from baking sheets to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, drain raspberries, reserving juice. Set the berries aside. Add enough water to juice to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and sugar; stir in the raspberry liquid until smooth. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool completely. Fold in the sweetened raspberries.
- To assemble, place one meringue on a serving plate; top with 2/3 cup whipped topping and 3/4 cup raspberry filling. Repeat three times. Top with remaining meringue layer and whipped topping. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Garnish with fresh berries. Cut with a serrated knife.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 332 calories, 6g fat (6g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.