I dug through two boxes of old recipes that had belonged to my husband's grandmother, looking for golden oldies. This gem is one of them.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipped topping
- Additional raspberries, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for filling, heat 1 cup raspberries in microwave for 30 seconds, then mash and measure 1/4 cup juice. Discard seeds.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually add raspberry juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla; cool.
- In a bowl, combine sour cream and whipped topping. Fold in cooled raspberry mixture and remaining berries. Cut cake widthwise in half. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the filling. Top with remaining layer and filling. Garnish with additional berries if desired. Store in the refrigerator.