Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce Recipe
This delicious fruity dessert comes from my German background. Mom always called it "Rote Grütz." We had a large raspberry patch, so she served it often in summer, when fresh berries were in season. —Marie Baumgartner, Stoughton, Wisconsin
- 4 cups unsweetened raspberries, crushed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the raspberries, orange juice and tapioca; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir 1/2 cup of hot mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or just until the sauce thickens slightly and reaches 160° (do not boil).
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl; press a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap over top of sauce. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. Divide raspberry mixture between four dessert dishes; top with vanilla sauce.
1/2 cup: 283 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fruit.
Reviews for Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC