Raspberry Dessert with Vanilla Sauce
This delicious fruity dessert comes from my German background. Mom always called it "Rote Grütz." We had a large raspberry patch, so she served it often in summer, when fresh berries were in season. —Marie Baumgartner, Stoughton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed, crushed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, combine the raspberries, orange juice and tapioca; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate.
- For vanilla sauce, combine cornstarch and sugar in a small saucepan; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of hot mixture into the egg; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or just until the sauce thickens slightly and reaches 160° (do not boil).
- Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into a large bowl; press a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap over top of sauce. Refrigerate until serving.
- Divide raspberry mixture among four dessert dishes; top with vanilla sauce.