Raspberry Custard Meringue
Whenever I serve this meringue at a dinner, I can count on one thing—hearing a few husbands asking their wives to make sure to get the recipe!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 to 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart fresh raspberries
- For meringue, place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites, vanilla, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in nuts.
- To form crust, place meringue mixture on parchment paper; spread in a 14-in. diameter circle (or in several smaller circles for individual servings). Bake at 275° for 1 hour; turn off heat and leave meringue in oven for at least 1 hour longer.
- Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringue from paper.
- For custard, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in the butter, vanilla and salt.
- Pour into bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cool completely. (Can be made on the day before use.)
- Just before serving, beat cream and sweeten to taste. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Spoon custard mixture on meringue; top with whipped cream and fresh berries. Drizzle with chocolate mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 481 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Raspberry Custard Meringue in Country Woman July/August 1990