Raspberry Crumb Bars
I take advantage of fruit that is in season when I make desserts. These bars are so delectable that it's hard to eat just one. —Rosie Newcomer, Bowdoin, Maine
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven 350°. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and baking soda; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in egg. Reserve 2 cups crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add raspberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Spread raspberry mixture over crust; top with reserved topping. Bake 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Originally published as Raspberry Bars in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016