Raspberry-Cream Cheese Ladder Loaves
Created by my dear friend Debbie, this is a delicious way to start your day. Bread may be sprinkled with granulated sugar before baking if desired.—Char Ouellette, Colton, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (8 slices each)
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and baking powder. In a small saucepan, heat buttermilk, sour cream, butter and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg, extract and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg yolk until smooth; set aside.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each piece into a 12x10-in. rectangle; place on greased baking sheets. Spread cheese mixture down the center of each rectangle. Stir jam; spoon over cheese mixture.
- On each long side, cut 3/4-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 15-19 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 262 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ambrosia Breakfast Bread in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3