Guests will say this stunning dessert looks too pretty to eat. But the combination of golden cake, vanilla cream, fresh raspberries and chocolate glaze will prove too tempting to resist.
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Raspberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) reduced-fat yellow cake mix
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking fat replacement*
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened raspberries, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix and baking soda. Add water, fat replacement and egg whites; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, whisk milk, pudding mix and vanilla in a mixing bowl for 2 minutes or until thickened. Let stand for 5 minutes. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with pudding mixture; sprinkle with 3/4 cup raspberries. Top with second cake layer. Combine ice cream topping and corn syrup to achieve a glaze consistency; spread over top of cake, letting glaze dripping over sides. Arrange remaining berries on top. Yield: 14 slices.
Originally published as Raspberry Cream Cake in Light & Tasty February/March 2001, p44