Raspberry Chocolate Torte
"This recipe is constantly requested by family and friends," writes Janis Murphy of Redondo Beach, California. "Feel free to substitute other berries," she adds.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using two 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until fluffy; stir in chopped pecans. Fold in whipped cream.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a fourth of the cream cheese mixture. Arrange 1 cup raspberries over filling. Repeat layers three times. Garnish with pecan halves. Refrigerate until serving.
Originally published as Raspberry Chocolate Torte in Quick Cooking May/June 2004