Raspberry-Chocolate Meringue Squares
My family loves all sorts of cookies, like this luscious treat with a buttery crust, raspberry jam, chocolate and meringue. Bake it for a buffet, party or household treat. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 large egg whites, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place two egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in remaining egg white; gradually add flour to creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Press into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Increase oven setting to 400°.
- With clean beaters, beat reserved egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread jam over crust; sprinkle with chocolate chips. Spread meringue over top.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 198 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Raspberry-Chocolate Meringue Squares in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015